Health and Safety Policy
Health & Safety Policy
Statement of intent It is the general policy of Leeds Hackspace to provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our activities:
- We will provide, maintain and oversee safe and healthy working conditions, equipment and * systems of work for all members and visitors
- We will provide such information and supervision as is needed for this purpose
- We will implement suitable emergency procedures in case of fire or other significant incident
- We will ensure safe handling and use of hazardous substances, in line with COSSH regulations
- We will hold Public Liability Insurance
This policy will be reviewed and revised as necessary, no less than annually as part of our AGM.
Responsibility Overall and final responsibility for health and safety at all events and activities organised by the Leeds Hackspace lies with the Directors. This responsibility may be delegated to a named volunteer for events or activities as deemed appropriate. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring that this policy is upheld
All members have a duty to:
- co-operate with the Directors on health and safety matters
- not interfere with anything provided to safeguard their health and safety
- take reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety
- use equipment correctly in accordance with instructions
- report all health and safety concerns to an appropriate person.
- General Risk assessments of our permanent venue will be will be carried out annually by the Directors. Responsibility for observing the decisions made in the risk assessment lies with all members.
- The Directors will check at quarterly intervals that the action/s have been taken and the risks have been removed/reduced.
- Risk assessments for one-off events or activities will be carried out by the member who is planning that activity. That member is responsible for liaising with the Lead Volunteer in charge (may be the same person) to ensure hazards are dealt with as outlined in the risk assessment.
First aid and accidents
- A First Aid Box and eye-wash station will be permanently located in the space, along with other personal protection equipment (goggles, ear-defenders, etc). The Directors are responsible for checking the contents every quarter.
- All accidents are to be recorded in the Accident Book - the book is located by the first aid box inside the workshop.
- Foam and CO2 fire extinguishers will be located at key locations around the hackspace as indicated on the adjacent map .
- Fire extinguishers will be inspected annually and serviced as appropriate
- Escape routes shall be well signed and kept clear at all times
- If you call the emergency services meet them at the entrance to the car park,
Reasonable level of risk We will take steps to avoid unnecessary risk and very high levels of risk. However, some activities inherently involve some risk. Learning about, and employing, risk management is a necessary part of “making”. We therefore aim to protect our members from unnecessary and high risk, and provide guidance and support to help members manage risk for themselves.
Last reviewed 22/07/2017 Next review due 22/07/2018